While the Office apps are capable of showing the reporting structure of the staff, if you need to extract that data into a Visio Diagram, that’s easy and just few click away.
- If you are in a Hybrid Environment, the Manager field of the On-prem AD account should be pre-populated
- If you are in a Cloud-only environment, Manager in field can be found in the Exchange Online portal, in the Organization.
- MS Visio should be installed on the computer
- Outlook Client should be running with the Email profile so it can read the Global Address List
When this processes, MS Visio basically grabs the information from the Global Address List where the users in it has been already setup with the Manager info, and populate the data.
How to do this?
- Open MS Visio > New > Organizational Chart
- Select the Chart Format you need and load it
- On the Ribbon -> Org Chart -> Import
- Select “Information that’s already stored in a file or database” > Next
- Select “A Microsoft Exchange Server Directory” > Next
- Add the fields as required > Next
- Select how you want to display the chart
- Add users who are managers or who has subordinates under them. To perform this
- Select Add Page > And Select Browse and it will open the Global Address List
Note – You have 2 Options here
You can either select the Global Address List from the Address Book, OR
Select the Offline Global Address List
Global Address List is real time info that queries the Exchange Online to display and sometimes this might be bit laggy depending on your network.
Offline Global Address List – Queries the info from the OAB file that’s stored in your computer locally and this updates every 24 Hours time
- The User that’s selected from the above step will be the “Name at tip of page“
- Number of additional levels: All or there are few levels you can select
- Page Name: Eg: Information Technology Department
- Hit Finish and it will start querying the GAL data to display the result